Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Water. Huh. What is it good for?

Water.

After I heard about Bottlemania, I checked a copy out of the Baltimore County Public Library. It's extremely well written, though it hovers between being a scientific paper and a travelogue about journeys to places where water is taken from the earth for sale.

I was expecting to find an indictment of big industry, and our increasing dependence on a fad (individual water servings). I did, but I also found significant criticisms about municipal water supplies.


Marilyn Pratt used images from the story linked below; I will repeat one here:





Some of my friends are in the desert today, sort of, if you can call Las Vegas the desert. At summer camp, I read a few more chapters of one of Colin Fletcher's last books, River, One Man's Journey Down the Colorado, Source to Sea. He was outraged and saddened by the destruction caused by damming the Colorado for a reservoir for the city of Las Vegas, and other uses.

I chose not to travel to the conference this year, mainly because of my distaste for gambling, but partly for the environmental destruction exemplified by the excesses of water fountains in arid lands.

No comments: