Saturday, March 6, 2010

Lists of Movies That Played at The Bengies Drive-In

I've been a drive-in movie fan for years, since moving to a neighborhood near the Bengies Drive-In Theatre, in operation over 50 years. I've posted a bunch of top-10 lists on my Netflix account, once I figured out how to use that feature. But it's cumbersome, so I'm replicating them here, plus adding my list for 2009.

Each of these is a movie that I saw when it played at the Bengies, a lot of them on the first run weekend.

2001

Movies

1Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
2
Zoolander
3
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
4
Shrek
5
Tomb Raider
6
Spy Kids
7
The Mummy Returns
8
Rush Hour 2
9
Legally Blonde
10
Jurassic Park III

2002

  1. Spider-Man
  2. Austin Powers in Goldmember
  3. Minority Report
  4. Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams
  5. About a Boy
  6. Ice Age
  7. The Sum of All Fears
  8. Lilo and Stitch
  9. The Bourne Identity
  10. The Scorpion King
2003

  1. Once Upon a Time in Mexico
  2. Lara Croft: The Cradle of Life
  3. Secondhand Lions
  4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Black Pearl
  5. Seabiscuit
  6. Finding Nemo
  7. Matchstick Men
  8. Freaky Friday
  9. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
  10. Johnny English

2004

  1. Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
  2. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
  3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  4. Mean Girls
  5. Spider-Man 2
  6. Shrek 2
  7. The Day After Tomorrow
  8. The Bourne Supremacy
  9. Hellboy
  10. Van Helsing

2005

  1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  2. Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
  3. Star Wars: Episode III
  4. Robots
  5. Flightplan
  6. Batman Begins
  7. Sky High
  8. Stealth
  9. War of the Worlds
  10. Fantastic Four

2006

  1. The Devil Wears Prada
  2. Akeelah and the Bee
  3. Cars
  4. The Da Vinci Code
  5. Over the Hedge
  6. Alex Rider: Operation Stormbreaker
  7. X-Men 3: The Last Stand
  8. Superman Returns
  9. Mission: Impossible III
  10. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
2007

  1. The Simpsons Movie
  2. Breach
  3. Spider-Man 3
  4. Shrek the Third
  5. Ratatouille
  6. Grindhouse: Planet Terror /Death Proof
  7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  8. Live Free or Die Hard
  9. Hairspray
  10. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

2008

  1. The Dark Knight
  2. WALL-E
  3. Hancock
  4. Iron Man
  5. Hellboy II: The Golden Army
  6. Henry Poole Is Here
  7. Horton Hears a Who!
  8. The Incredible Hulk
  9. Indiana Jones/Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  10. Kung Fu Panda

2009

  1. UP
  2. Star Trek
  3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  4. Zombieland
  5. Inglourious Basterds
  6. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  7. Terminator Salvation
  8. Monsters vs. Aliens
  9. Imagine That
  10. Public Enemies
To create each year's list, I reviewed the emails from The Bengies, trying to recall which I had seen there, and which I missed for one reason or other. The 2001 list above has the Netflix links, which may or may not work. The 2009 list has IMDB links, just because I haven't put together that year on Netflix. Other years I may fill in the links, or I may not, later.

The ratings from "1" to "10" were done at the end of the year, based on my feelings at the time. I have not gone back and adjusted any of these based on later rethinking or reevaluations.

There are many more movies that didn't make the top 10, plus there are other lists of movies I prefer not to see again. As The Bengies does double features and triple features, I've sat through many that I would not otherwise have seen. I saw UP four times in 2009, and saw The Dark Knight 5 times I think in 2008.

No comments: